Thursday, January 8, 2015

around the town: upstairs JoAnns

There had been talk of opening an IKEA in the large vacant building in Riverside Plaza a couple years ago. I knew it was just rumors I was reading, but still hoped it was true.
Instead of IKEA, the building was used for a Nordstorm Rack downstairs, and a Joann's and Marshall's upstairs. Those are all desirable stores but still not what I and many others had hoped.

It ended up being almost a year before I finally made it inside this Joann's, but finally, I had to check it out. I have a Joann's in my neighborhood and it's quicker to get to, explaining the delay for this shopping trip. Riverside Plaza has many stores I do frequent though, like Trader Joe's, JoS. A. Bank, Forever 21, and delicious restraunts like Dickie's BBQ Pit and Market Broiler.


The view was nice from the second floor balcony and it was still early morning so the parking lot was not crowded. Those who shop Riverside Plaza know that parking, especially at lunch time and weekends, can get crazy.


The JoAnn's upstairs has escalators or an elevator to access it. My son was in heaven on the escalator. I didn't see any shopping carts in the parking lot and didn't think that I would shop here if I had a ton of things to buy (like I frequently do). I would feel pretty sill in the elevator with a shopping cart to take my stuff to my car. The shopping cart selection inside was huge, even larger than the super center I normally shop at. I can't imagine them all ever getting used at one time.



Inside felt a bit like the old school Joann's I remember, back before they build all the new "super centers". I was hoping this one would be a big super center like the one in Ontario, CA.
It was disappointing to go inside and see the skinny isles in the dark old building.
There was one main isle down the store all the way to the back with an isle against each side wall running to the back. Every free space it seemed like they filled up with rolling carts with merchandise.


They had all the regular fabrics and trims that I was looking for this particular trip.
There was also the long wall of quilters cottons and as it went back, turned into utility fabrics and muslin and fleece. They did have a nice display of premium quilters cottons that included Denyse Schmidt and Juliana Horner Designs.


I didn't make it to the craft or scrap book sections so I can't comment on the selections offered. I was happy with the fabrics and trims so if what I need runs out at my local store I will be able to happily check for it here.

Do you have a Joann's near you? Is it old school or a newer one?
 I would love to hear how it is around your town.
I am lucky to have 5 within 30 minutes of me, with the closest only 5 minutes away.

No comments:

Post a Comment