Monday, December 29, 2014

triangle quilt

I gave a few handmade Christmas gifts this month to family members and am happy to be able to share them now.
For my brother's family I decided to make a quilt. I had been wanting to try the 60 degree triangles and thought this was the perfect opportunity.


I chose a lot of masculine colors because my brother and sister in law have a house full of boys and I thought it would go well with their home style. The piecing went easy and quick enough even though not all my points match up.
I used a navy blue minky fabric for the back and used warm and natural cotton batting inside.
It is 50" X 60" and the binding is a blue and cream plaid by DS (Denyse Schmidt) for JoAnns.
For the first time, I sewed the binding on with my machine and now I'm never going back to hand sewing my binding again. It was a breeze with my walking foot and it turned out perfectly.



After quilting, washing, and drying the quilt it's not even noticeable that all the points don't match up!
I love it. It was a heavy quilt and my 12 year old was having a hard time holding it up for me to photo it.


Another first with this quilt was using spray basting, no pins. I laid it out on my dining room table and sprayed each layer together and wow, what have I been waiting for? I'll going to use that stuff again. During quilting, it stayed put and there was no bunching or puckers at the end.




I wanted to hurry and mail it off after finishing but wanted to say the colors are pretty true to the photos: blues, grays, lime green, subdued khaki greens, and red.  The lime green threw off my camera though and the other colors didn't show well in the dark.
My son asked me if I would make him one... We'll see,

No comments:

Post a Comment