Thursday, April 17, 2014

Freezer cinnamon rolls for a month

I love to have food ready to eat. I don't enjoy cooking dinner everyday because there is so much to do anyway.
Come dinner time I just don't feel like cooking every single night seven days a week.
We don't eat out a lot and I like to feed my family healthy foods.
So I cook or do the prep work maybe once or twice a week for the entire week.
I use my deep freezer to its full capacity.

Desserts are the same as dinner for me.
I love to eat them but don't like to start from scratch all the time to make them.
Fresh out of the oven cinnamon rolls are a special treat at our house.


The other day I made up a large batch of cinnamon rolls and this is how I freeze them to last for a while.
They are one dessert my husband always gives me a hard time about not making enough.
But they are time consuming to make all the time.
So I thought I would save time and make them once to enjoy them 6 times.

The recipe I use makes two jelly roll pans full so I divided that up into smaller aluminum pans and ended up with 7 separate servings.
We ate one pan the same day and I froze the other six.

I separated the dough into two balls and roll them out one at a time.
It's easier to work with two smaller ones that one large roll.
After I have the ball rolled to into a rectangle I spread a thin layer of butter on top.
Then sprinkle the cinnamon and brown sugar mix all over it.
I usually go heavy on this mix.





Roll up the rectangle into a roll and slice the roll into about 1" thick discs.
See how long the roll of dough is, that is only one ball?
That is why I divide it into two before I start.
I use regular old sewing thread to slice the discs.




I lightly spray the Foil Pan I'm using and lay the sliced discs in them touching each other. 
I can fit six into each pan.





I usually only plan on them being in the freezer for a month or so,
but I still want them to stay as fresh as they can so I wrap them up good.
I start with plastic wrap and cover them nicely,
after that I put a cut piece of cardboard on top and tape it in place on two sides.
This is to allow the pans to stack on top of each other in the freezer without squishing the rolls.
Then I put a layer of aluminum foil on top.


Write the date on the foil and the oven temperature along with the cooking time,
if you don't have that memorized.



I also make a cream cheese frosting and divide it into smaller round containers to freeze.
They thaw very fast after being put in the fridge overnight.
After we cook the cinnamon rolls we add the frosting to our own individual rolls on our plates.


When I am ready to cook up a pan, I usually just take a pan out of the freezer the night before and let it thaw in the fridge over night.
The next day, I let them sit on the counter to warm up and rest a bit before I bake them.
Sorry no pictures of my frosting or the final cinnamon roll cooked, I usually eat them up too fast without thinking of taking a picture.

What foods do you like to freeze to save time?

No comments:

Post a Comment