Thursday, June 27, 2013

frozen yogurt: strawberry

When I got my Ice Cream Maker years ago I made ice cream all summer long. Then I tried frozen yogurt and I was in heaven. I tried many frozen yogurt recipes and finally settled on this one that is the best in my opinion. Frozen yogurt is super easy to make, takes less time than ice cream and it's healthier! Plus it tastes so good!


This recipe is for vanilla frozen yogurt I originally got from This Week for Dinner and I've tweaked it a bit to my liking and also adjusted the amounts of ingredients to fit my 2 qt ice cream freezer. I also like to add flavor sometimes and I'll show you how simple it is to make strawberry yogurt below. It could work for any other fruit flavor as well!

Vanilla Yogurt for a 2 qt ice cream freezer
3 Cups yogurt **
a little less than 3/4 Cups sugar
3/4 cup milk (I use 1%)

Mix all ingredients together well until all lumps are smooth. Follow directions on your ice cream maker to freeze.

**For the 3 Cups Yogurt I always use vanilla flavored. I usually use Stonyfield farms french vanilla. Sometimes I use yogurt from Trader Joes, and sometimes I will also use Chobani greek yogurt or a combination of any of the above to equal the 3 cups. Any yogurt plain or vanilla will work. Test out different brands and see what is your favorite.

(The original recipe calls for xantham gum, which we usually have on hand, but I was not happy with the texture of the yogurt after using it. I stopped using it because the yogurt didn't mix well and the xantham gum would clump up. I didn't notice a difference in ice crystals after it had been in my freezer a couple days so there was no point in using it again. See the comments in this post to read more about xantham gum.)


To make strawberry frozen yogurt I make the vanilla like the recipe says and then I puree 1 pound of hulled and rinsed strawberries in the blender really well so they are nice and runny, no chunks.  
Then I push them through a fine mesh strainer with a spoon to remove all the tiny seeds. I like to have nice and smooth consistency in my yogurt. Mix it in the yogurt mixture well and pour in the ice cream maker.





This would work well with other types of fruits as well. Some fruits, like blueberries, you may have to mash and add to a sauce pan over med heat for a bit while the juices are released. After they are softened you can cool for a bit and push through the strainer. You may want to cool the final yogurt mixture before you pour it in the ice cream freezer.

I would love to hear your experiments and what kind of flavor you have added.



No comments:

Post a Comment