Wednesday, February 8, 2012

wheat grinding & other loud noises

During January I was kind of into the new year and didn't really post anything about our Christmas. I thought I would tell you about two of my favorite gifts I received.


First I got these little things. They were in my stocking and I was so excited to find them. I have wanted a pair of earplugs for months now. My sisters clued me in about them and said they sleep with them in. For a while now I have had a hard time getting used to my husbands "deep" breathing, as he calls it. Now, after having one of these nice orange things in my ear (I only sleep with one in because one ear is always against my pillow) I have been sleeping much better.


For Christmas I also got a wheat grinder. It's a kitchen Mill by blendtec. I have had it on my "to buy" list for a while, but it has always gotten pushed to the bottom when other things have become a priority.


I cook a lot with whole wheat flour and this makes it nice and convenient to always have it when I need it.
The earplugs also come in handy with the wheat grinding, because it is a loud process. It just takes a few minutes to get this much flour but it is a few minutes that is bearable with earplugs.


3 comments:

  1. I've never heard of a wheat grinder. Forgive my ignorance, but why is grinding your own wheat better than just buying wheat flour? I'm interested because I make my own bread with whole wheat flour (nothing fancy, I just throw it all in the bread maker) but I'm always interested in something new. (not that my kitchen has enough work surface to house another gadget)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emma,
    I know exactly what you mean by not having enough work surface to house another gadget. I have a pretty small kitchen and am running out of room...

    I used to buy the wheat flour from the store and use that for my bread until I was able to get a wheat grinder. Freshly ground wheat has such a fresh flavor. When I make pancakes with it they are so delicious, just a nice different flavor.
    Also, When wheat is ground into flour it starts to loose it's nutritional value. So it is best to grind what you need when you use it to optimize the nutrition you receive from your flour. I tend to be a bit lazy and don't always want to grind it when I need it, so I grind more and store it in an air tight container in the fridge or freezer to help preserve it longer.
    The store bought wheat flour doesn't have the germ included from the wheat, from what I understand, because the germ part goes rancid quickly. So they remove that part. It's still wheat though.
    I am by far no expert on wheat flour and grinding it but I do know that I love it. It costs less for me to buy hard white wheat (which I love better than red wheat) and grind it myself than to buy the whole wheat flour from the store.

    Hope that answers some of your questions! Thanks for stopping by.
    ~Edith

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the info Edith! Sounds yummy! I'm impressed you go to all that effort. Sounds like it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete