Saturday, May 28, 2011

weekend sewing, women's clothing

Not necessarily this weekend, but last weekend, I got some sewing completed for me.

I was excited to finally sew something using my recently finished duct tape dress form. I made the Market Blouse and skirt from the Lisette Pattern, Simplicy 2211.

These were not necessarily made with intentions to be worn together. Although, I guess they don't look that bad together, but I just thought I would take pictures with them this way and save on time.
I love that the dress form is just my size so the clothes look the same on it as they would on me, that way I don't have to try to take a self portrait.

Lisette Market Skirt, Front


The shirt is made from the pink Lisette shirting. It has no stretch to it. First I made a muslin in a size 10 because that is what the pattern back said my measurements were. It was bigger than I wanted it to be so for the pink shirt I cut out a size 6. I even took in more on the sides than the 5/8" seam allowance so it would fit me better in the waist. Because there is no stretch to the fabric, it is a bit difficult to get off but not terribly impossible and very doable.

Lisette Market Blouse, front


I love the sleeves, and the neck and button details. I wasn't so sure about the button placket at first and left it off. Later, after I was all done, I decided it was too plain and I went back to add it. I'm really glad I did. I jokingly asked my husband if it looked like I was going to a picnic. He said "It looks like you are the picnic."

I matched up the plaids on the button placket pretty well, and the collar too, but when I sewed the collar on it didn't really want to match up... Oh well, It's kind of nice to have it off a bit so it's slightly visible.
(haahaa, not really, If I was to do it again I would match it exactly, that's how anal I am.)

Lisette Market Blouse, neck



Lisette Market Blouse, sleeve


The skirt is made from some blue fine wale corduroy I have had for a long time. It was also used in this pouch. The front of the skirt is shown above in the first image, and this is the back. Pretty much the same though.

Lisete Market skirt, back


I used an invisible zipper instead of a regular one. I still need to choose buttons for the four tabs. But I have a hard time committing to buttons.

Lisette Market skirt


The skirt pleats kept flipping inside out and hanging funny when I tried on the skirt and walked around in it. I'm thinking it may have something to do with the corduroy rubbing against itself. To solve the problem, I tacked the inside of each pleat down in two places by hand. The tacks are so small and go through to the front of the skirt, but you can't see them. That keeps them hanging flat and not inverting. Wearing a half slip with this will also help keep it draping down nicely. I'm a big advocate of slips, haahaa, they are the best.

8 comments:

  1. Slips are essential unless a skirt or dress is self-lined. Drives me nuts when people don't use them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with that skirt! I would buy that in a second if I saw it at the store. It seems like all skirts that go to the knee end up having a huge slit in the back so I rule them out. The blouse is adorable. These will look great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adorable outfit. Love them both so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is a super cute outfit. Your detailing is enviable.

    ReplyDelete
  5. perfection!
    that dress form is so cool. I might have to do that some day!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks so much for the great post. I really enjoyed reading it. I'm so glad for more information on Casual clothing.

    http://www.clothingobsession.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello from a new follower! I really love the blouse ~ I have been wanting to make this but wasn't sure I liked the style enough to go for it, but your blouse looks so pretty I'm going to get started. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey there, I saw this post a few days ago and it totally got me inspired to sew my own Lisette skirt and blouse. You can see it here : http://hellobeautifulblog.blogspot.com/2011/06/lisette-market-skirt-and-blouse.html
    Thanks for inspiring me :O)

    ReplyDelete