Friday, May 27, 2011

duct tape dress form, check!

If you haven't noticed I have a 2011 to do list at the top of my blog. It is mostly long term things I want to accomplish. I say long term because a lot of other things come up that I need (or want) to do right away.

On my list of things to do, even before 2011 came, was make a duct tape dress form for myself. I first saw the nifty idea here. Then I did a bit more research and found a few other people who had made one too. Here are a few other places I used for tips: Here, Here, and Here, and one more Here.

I used all their experiences to come up with what I wanted for my own. I used a trash bag instead of a T-shirt because I wanted it to be my exact size with no extra. I used 1 1/2 rolls of duct tape with three layers of wrapping. I'm not petite but I'm not going to deny I'm small.

duct tape dress form just my size

I saved a floor lamp for a year to use as a stand for this specific purpose. There is a white PVC pipe running from the neck to the bottom of the form inside that is just larger than the lamp pole.

duct tape dress form on stand

The PVC pipe has the top glued onto it to keep the lamp pole from going all the way through and the form from sliding to the ground.

top of duct tape dress form

There is cardboard cut to fit in the neck and hips at the bottom to help it keep it's shape. The duct tape is wrapped over to hold the cardboard in place. I then covered the edges with clear packing tape. Duct tape doesn't hold well in my opinion.

The inside of the form has some cardboard support pieces taped in place that help it hold it's shape from front to back and from side to side. Then I used 1 1/2 bags of stuffing to stuff it and fill in all the little corners. It is really packed in there good and the form will hold it's shape nicely.

neck of duct tape dress form

In order to keep the dress form from sliding down the PVC pipe, I had my husband drill tiny holes for me, four total. Then I ran wire through the holes and twisted it around and through the cardboard bottom.

bottom of duct tape dress form

It took a couple hours to complete the wrapping while we watched a movie. My husband kept getting distracted to watch the movie and I was tired from standing but he was very detailed and did a perfect job.
I love it! It is really just as cool as I hoped it would be.

I keep it in my closet and it's kind of odd to have it there and I keep a shirt on it because I feel like it's my bareness, ahaahaa, and some times I get spooked by it thinking it's a real person, if I see it out of the corner of my eye.

It is exactly the same measurements as I am and I've even used it to make some clothes. I'll share the clothes soon!



2 comments:

  1. That is an awesome idea! We just watched a "Mythbusters" episode where they were using duct tape for ALL kids of things. This wasn't one of them... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is amazing. I am totally impressed. Thanks for linking it up to Finished It Up Friday!

    ReplyDelete