Monday, January 24, 2011

pillow party

I'm entering my more feminine string quilted pillow that I made to go along with the Christmas LA Lakers pillow, into the pillow party pool at stitchedincolor.

Blogger's Pillow Party

I love the way string blocks can end up looking so nicely done even if all the fabrics used are not necessarily the perfect match.

My Mother in-law asked me to make another matching pillow cover for her so I'll add that to my List of things to do. But most likely it will be moved to the top because I enjoy making this block and it will look good to have two on the couch.

The pillow front is lined inside with white muslin and layered with cotton batting, I then quilted it in 1/4" spacing.

string block quilted throw pillow

string block couch pillow, back

The pillow for the string block and the LA Lakers pillow (also shown in the images) are about 16 1/2" square and fit an 18" pillow form from Joanns perfectly.

To make the covers washable, I added invisible zippers to the bottom sides. I really love the way invisible zippers look (or don't look) after they are put in and don't detract from the pillow design at all. Plus, to me, they are quicker to sew into the pillow cover and nicer looking than the envelope style.

invisible zippers


5 comments:

  1. Very pretty! Love that backing too. Thanks for entering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this design! What a great scrap buster idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pillow! I've noticed a bunch of great string quilt blocks around the bloggosphere lately and this one I think tips the scales that I need to put it on my list of projects. Love it.

    ReplyDelete