Tuesday, June 15, 2010

alphabet quiet book

For one child I made a quiet activity book about 8 years ago. It was fun to make, but it was very time consuming, and at the time I did not have much experience with applique and satin stitch, I just learned as I went. My son loved it and it had so many fun pages for him to enjoy. For another child I wanted to make a quiet book too, but was not looking forward to all the work. So I did a simpler ABC book instead of a full blown activity book.

take along ABC  book


The ABC book still took a lot of time, but now after many years, I am much more experienced in applique and I have no problem saying I LOVE applique. This fabric quiet book went together so fast. THIS is the basic pattern I used. I did make a few changes to fit my preference as always, but for the most part, this is the book I made, Alphabet Take Along Book, but sewbaby Inc. It is an excellent pattern, very easy to follow and saves you the headache of figuring it out on your own.

My beginning stack of fabrics, I used many more but this is the beginning point.
ABC soft quiet book



The shapes beginning to take form. This is after the worst part of applique (drawing, initial ironing and cutting out) and ready to get to the fun part (sewing).
ABC soft quiet book

ABC soft quiet book



The "X" begins to take form with the paper pattern. Next the pieces are cut out and ironed on to the fabric page and then sewn on with a satin stitch and the entire page is finished around the edge with a top stitch.
ABC soft quiet book, X=1

ABC soft quiet book, X=2

ABC soft quiet book, X=3



Another letter takes form. Notice the "F" is backwards and after it is ironed on it ends up facing the correct way?
ABC soft quiet book

ABC soft quiet book


The octopus for the "O" page was fairly simple in my opinion and I had an octopus drawing from my files I wanted to use instead. My octopus used is shown on the right.
ABC soft quiet book

You can see I did not add each little sticky part of the tentacle, it would have been too time consuming. I usually do the tentables on t-shirts but decided not to do it for this book. This is the Octopus page with unfinished edges and below is the page in the finished and bound book.
ABC soft quiet book

ABC soft quiet book


For the "Q" page it has you make a tiny quilt to attach. I did a 3 X 3 quilt and instead of binding it I wanted the edges to fray a bit so I satin stitched in away from the edge.
ABC soft quiet book, Q

ABC soft quiet book


The "M" page was a favorite of mine to do. The moon that it had you do was quiet simple and I thought a child would enjoy a Mirror instead to see their reflections.
I had a small round mirror I removed years ago from a 4 page store-bought quiet book I was throwing away. I knew I would use the mirror some day for something.

For the mirror page, I traced the size of the round mirror on the wrong side of the fabric I would use for the border and cut small tabs to fold back and iron.
Next, I placed the mirror in the round opening after ironing the tabs back. Using a zipper foot, I was able to sew right up next to the mirror edge. After trimming the outer green fabric to the desired size, I secured it down to the page with wonder under, only on the outer edges, and satin stitched it in place.
The pictures should explain themselves hopefully, I much prefer pictures than typing.
ABC soft quiet book - M=mirror

ABC soft quiet book - M=mirror

ABC soft quiet book - M=mirror

ABC soft quiet book - M=mirror

ABC soft quiet book - M=mirror

ABC soft quiet book


Here are a few more pages, some on the raw edge pages still in the works and some in the final book all sewn and bound.
ABC fabric quiet book

ABC soft quiet book

ABC soft quiet book


The "C" page had a pattern of a cat to use. I decided to customize this to a boy who loves any thing with wheels and add a Car. I had the car picture already in my applique pattern folder, which has quite the selection to choose from as it has grown over the years.
ABC soft quiet book


The ABC pattern has simple instructions on how to bind your book with a shoe lace and four button holes in the center of each page. That ends up being quite a few button holes to make. The binding was very easy to follow and I love how secure it is.
ABC soft quiet book

ABC soft quiet book binding

ABC soft quiet book


Turning the pages with the binding is so easy and it holds tight just as a real book should.
ABC soft quiet book


Another thing I altered was the size of the pages as I got toward the center of the book. The instructions say to cut all the pages the same size and the cover 1/2" larger. I did this, but also shaved a bit off of each pages length as I got closer to the center. If I didn't do this then as the pages are folded, the center edges would poke out further than the rest on the open side. The picture below can help you to visualize this. The center would be poking out more on the right side making the page edges uneven.
take along ABC  book


For the gray cover, I recycled a piece of twill that I had cut off of a pair of pants I had hemmed into shorts. The seam on the front of this book is the original side seam from the pants. I used canvas duck cloth for the inside pages.
ABC soft quiet book





13 comments:

  1. Incredible! You have some lucky kids - that is all I can say. It's really beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well done. I have a pattern I won somewhere and I was hoping to get a book made for one of the grandsons who turns three in July...maybe I won't have the time!?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is really cute. I love all of the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is great! You put so much thought and effort into each of your pages!! I just posted about the alphabet quiet book I am making on my blog today. Yours puts mine to shame--and I am not even done!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cute and thanks for the inst.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is one of the best quiet books I have seen - Super cute! You do fabulous work! Stopping by from Just a Girl. Hope you are having a wonderful week! ~ Stephanie Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! That took some work! It is amazing. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love your book. It turned out beautifully. I hope that it brings lots of quiet time!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great work and dedication! Can't wait to read more from you.

    www.aqsquiltnews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi You’ve got a great blog and I think you’d be interested in mine. I’d love it if you’d link up to my Tot Tuesdays party- a linky party dedicated to all things toddler: http://www.mydeliciousambiguity.com/ Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. AWESOME AWESOME>
    I have another quite book (two) in the starting stage. We'll see if I can ever get them done :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. OH MY GOODNESS! this is by far one of the best quiet books i've seen! you did an amazing job!

    ReplyDelete