It got tiring being on my knees and being on the floor and having to make sure my floor was clean and my back was not really liking it either.
I've had a couple quilt waiting to be laid out and basted but needed another way. So last weekend I made a trip to Lowes and got some long boards and clamps to make quilting frames. This was to tape up the quilt and bast it, then take it down and do the machine quilting and put the boards away.
I was just going to get some plain old brown 1" X 2" boards 6' long but my husband talked me into getting it in MDF instead. It was pre-primed white. I got 2 lengths of 6' and 2 lengths of 8' both 1" X 2". The primer would have left white on my quilt so I had to spray paint them with real paint first.
These are the C clamps I found in the tool section. Just what I remember my mom using when she would set up the old fashioned quilt frames. The clamps I got were smaller and were the perfect size for my smaller boards. Below is an image of them from the top and bottom after attaching the boards at the corner.
The corners rest on four chair backs. This is the mid process of taping so the quilt is not fully tight. the masking tape stuck perfectly to the MDF, just like the tile floor. It was also easy to peel off when finished.
Still mid process, not tight yet.
still not tight...