Monday, February 22, 2010

drapery hooks

I finished a new pair of curtain panels for my son's room finally. His room is a cave and I needed to use the window treatments to make it seem bigger. I also lined them so they would add a bit more insulation to the windows.
I decided to attach drapery hooks instead of using clips like I previously had on his older curtains because I wanted them to have a more finished look this time.

So here are a few pictures behind the scenes to attach your own.
I started with these hooks from Joann's. They come 14 in a pack and I used 18 hooks, 9 on each panel.


I measured even spaces along the panel top with my disappearing sewing marker. Then slipped the pointy tip of the hook up into the fabric. Being careful to just go through one layer of fabric and not going all the way to the front. I think the lining helps to add reinforcement and strength where the hooks will be but lining is not necessarily needed on your curtains.


The rings I wanted to use had clips on the end, so I just used some plyers to remove all the clips and left the little metal loop to attach the hooks on. Here is the back side before hanging.


Here is the front all hung up with just the bit of hook showing. Let me know if you have any questions or comments.
I'll show the finished curtains later, I still need to adjust the curtain rod height.




Now something that has nothing to do with hanging curtains.
I discovered a new blog about healthy eating. It talks a lot about things I already do in my home and it has a lot of new information. Simply Real is the name and it really is simple to eat healthy. There is a giveaway for the book Food Rules An Eater's Manual by Michael Pollan going on right now. I'm excited because I have wanted to read this book for some time.

2 comments:

  1. Can't wait to see the finished curtains. I need to make some curtains for my son's room and I am trying to decide how I want to do them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I finally found this post!! I think this is how I will do mine, not a tab top. This looks easier and I like the look of them hanging on the window. I can always add tabs later right? I'm going to put blackout fabric behind mine though and they will probably hang differently.

    ReplyDelete