Sunday, January 24, 2010

week of soups -tortilla soup

Day four in the week of soups is Tortilla soup I had at my sister-in law 's house. She got it from the Simple & Delicious magazine.
It's super easy and quick plus good for you. I like those kinds of foods.

Tortilla Soup

Ingredients

  • 1 can (10-1/2 ounces) condensed chicken with rice soup, undiluted
  • 1-1/3 cups water
  • 1 cup salsa
  • 1 cup canned pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 cup frozen corn
  • 1 cup frozen diced cooked chicken
  • 1 teaspoon ground cumin
  • Crushed tortilla chips, shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream

Directions

  • In a large saucepan, combine the first eight ingredients. Cook over medium-high heat for 5-7 minutes or until heated through. Serve with tortilla chips, cheese and sour cream. Yield: 5 servings.

**My Notes**
I add any kind of beans I have on hand. Usually black and kidney, but pinto sometimes. For the chicken, I like to use the rotisserie chicken from the store and pick the meat off. It add a lot of flavor. This is how I had it the first time and loved the idea.
I never buy condensed chicken with rice soup. I make brown rice and add it to the soup when it is cooked. Brown rice is much healthier than white and doing it this way I don't get the other added artificial ingredients from the can nor do my kids. I usually add about 1/2 cup cooked rice. I like to add a tad bit more cumin and a few twists of ground black pepper and salt.






The cumin, crunched up chips, and sour cream are my favorite parts of this soup.


No comments:

Post a Comment