Tuesday, January 26, 2010

week of soups -tortellini & sausage soup

Day 6 in the week of soups is nice and filling. It has tortellini and meat and vegetables and a yummy broth. Of course I have no idea where I got this exactly. I am guessing it was in a book from the city library. I loved the idea of it so I copied it to make, now it's years later and I'm making it pretty regularly.

Tortellini and Sausage Soup
1 pound bulk Italian sausage
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped (about 1/2 C)
3 cups water
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
2 carrots, sliced
1 medium zucchini or yellow summer squash, halved and sliced
2 cans (10 3/4 oz each) condensed tomato soup
8 oz uncooked dried or frozen cheese or meat filled tortellini (2 cups)
Grated parmesan cheese


COOK and stir sausage and onion in 4-quart dutch oven until sausage is light brown; drain. STIR in remaining ingredients except cheese.
Heat to boiling; REDUCE heat. Cover and SIMMER until vegetables and tortellini are tender, about 20 minutes. Serve with cheese.


Alt. Garbanzo Bean and Sausage Soup:

Substitute 1 can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, drained, for the tortellini.


**My Notes**
I usually substituted the Italian sausage for ground turkey or extra lean ground beef-7% and it doesn't need draining and the final taste is unnoticeable.
I have not tried it with Garbanzo beans but I may just add them to the pot next time with out taking the tortellini out. I would get bad reviews from Mr. E if I ever took tortellini out of anything it was called for.




2 comments:

  1. What a great idea, using those bags. I hate cleaning my crock pot! Your soups look yummy. I'm going to make a few of them :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The soup looks amazing. I love tortellini, veggies and sausage, so really what could be better than putting them all together in a soup. I listed this one as a part of my weekly recipe exchange, which you can find here: ttp://seriouslysoupy.blogspot.com/2010/01/soup-recipe-exchange_28.html.

    Thanks again!
    Seriously Soupy Serena

    ReplyDelete