Tuesday, August 11, 2009

midweek skirt

First of all, I have to say a BIG thank you to everyone who commented on my new couch. I was so happy to read all your comments and know that you love it. Thank you.
I have something else to add to my couch to make it so cozy, be sure to check back in a couple days.

I saw this orange fabric and thought it would make a cute skirt. I first thought I would make one like this or this, but finally settled on a simple A-line skirt.

I have this one skirt that I love so I used it as a guide to cut out the pieces for the new skirt. From there I just assembled it on my own. I added the invisible zipper using this perfect method. You don't need any special invisible zipper foot for your machine to add it, like some may believe, just use your regular zipper foot. And you don't need to iron first either. I never iron my invisible zipper teeth open first it just adds an extra unnecessary step. It does take some practice to get it right with the needle up against the teeth but not hard.

A-line skirt invisible zipper

I decided to add a polka dot bias tape hem instead of just a fold under hem. I even found the perfect color of lining to sew in underneath.

A-line skirt


Let me know if you use the invisible zipper method, I would love to hear your thoughts on how it worked for you.

Recently added to:

9 comments:

  1. Very cute!

    That is the ONLY method I use for inserting an invisible zipper. The only thing I do different is press the zipper flat before I start sewing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this skirt. You inspire me to make a cute summer skirt before the summer passes. I like the idea about bias tape for the hem. It's a cute contrasting fabric (pattern).

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love this fabric. in fact i just picked it up for the border of my most recent quilt. and i've spotted the same print in red too, though i'm partial to the orange.
    very cute skirt!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute! I love the bias tape and think it works great.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Super cute! Love the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally cute! Love the trim and your zipper looks flawless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful skirt! I love the fabric

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is so pretty. I love the fall of the lines. And yes, I use the invisible zipper method. This skirt looks so comfy and perfect for snazzy look.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your skirt - Fabulous!!
    I bookmarked the YouTube clip - it looks so simple!

    ReplyDelete